My news feed is regularly filled with bold claims from Trump and his supporters about the historic work that has been done by this administration. I am often caught off guard by these statements due to the fact that from my vantage point, I haven’t seen anything that supports this claim. I have however seen the so-called president divide our country, hire Nazi-wannabes, promote White nationalism, tarnish our reputation overseas, shred our alliances, threaten the stability of the world, and lie every day.
To go from a president who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize to one under constant investigation with rumors of a tape with Russian prostitutes peeing on him is almost to much to bear.
I don’t usually write with Trump supporters in mind. However, today’s essay is for them; a bit of a follow-up from yesterday’s writing. These lists could go on-an-on, and they are in no particular order.
- Won Nobel Peace Prize
- Made record investments in education initiatives, environmental research, industrial modernization and, most famously, health-care reform.
- Invested money into scientific and medical research
- Invested money into alternative energy sources
- Signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act – saving the US from economic doom and stopping the Great Recession
- Drafted healthcare reform – ACA
- Saved the American auto industry
- Inherited a country on the brink of disaster, and saved it.
- Doubled the number of female justices on the Supreme Court (more than any other time in history)
- Ended “don’t ask, don’t tell” allowing gays to openly serve in the military
- Stopped supporting Defense of Marriage Act, allowing gay couples to get married
- Allowed women to choose serving in combat roles in the military
- Massive investment into green appliances, buildings, autos etc., which cut greenhouse has emissions
- Opened relations with Cuba
- Banned waterboarding
- Signed CHIP – expanding healthcare to 11 million needy kids
- Killed Osama Bin Ladin
- Signed Dodd-Frank Act – largest financial regulatory overhaul since New Deal
- Nominated 33% of his Cabinet
- Has gotten 8% of his Cabinet positions confirmed
- 16 days spent playing golf
- Appointed Gorsuch to the Supreme Court
- Did not proclaim June 2017 as LGBT Pride Month
- Currently facing lawsuits from three entities for violations of the Emoluments Clause
- Currently facing 12 lawsuits related to sanctuary cities and immigration
- Currently being sued for violations of the Presidential Records act of 1978
- Currently being sued for violations of the First Amendment
- Under investigation by Senate Intelligence Committee, the FBI, the House of Representatives, and Robert Mueller for a variety of crimes to include collusion with a hostile foreign nation and illegal financial dealings
- Withdrew from the TPP
- Removed pollution protections from public waters in the US
- Launched 59 Tomahawk missiles into a deserted airfield in Syria
- Ordered a botched raid into Yemen that resulted in the death of a SOF solider and many civilians
- Fired the head of the FBI for not pledging loyalty to him
- Encouraged America’s intelligence chiefs to undermine the FBI’s Russia probe
- Denied climate change and pulled the US out of the Paris Accords
- Shared highly classified Israeli intelligence with a core ally of Israel’s top geopolitical foe
Daniel Cashman, EAMP, MS (AOM)