I listen in on a.m. conservative talk radio all the time and I have for years. Although painful, it is an important job; it is one of the easiest ways to find out what the Right wing thinks. One of the first things that caught my attention today was that Rush and Trump play golf together. This is not surprising as Trump surrounds himself with the worst humans – Miller, Gorka, Bannon, Alex Jones etc. But it is a good reminder about who exactly Trump gets his information from.
66 year old Missouri native Rush Limbaugh is one of the leaders of the Right. His show is often cited as the “most important talk radio show” (1) and with 14 million weekly listeners it has the largest audience of talk radio shows in the U.S. (2). He is an authentic voice for the Right and is very influential. He is also a college drop out described by his own mother as having “…flunked everything.” (3) He is well known for his disparaging remarks about African-Americans (4), women, LGBT, Liberals- basically everyone that is not a white male. Like Trump, he is a Reality TV star. And the unfortunate fact is that our country loves that about them.
In keeping with Conservative values – Rush has been married four times and divorced three times. In 2003 he was being investigated for “illegally obtaining the prescription drugs oxycodone and hydrocodone.” (5) and in October of 2003 admitted on-air that he was addicted to painkillers. In 2006, he was arrested for having “received about 2,000 painkillers, prescribed by four doctors in six months”.
This morning (March 9th, 2017) I listened in on Seattle talk radio A.M. 770 to the Rush Limbaugh show and was motivated to write about it and him. To set the tone for folks that don’t know much about him, Rush has spent 29 years working to discredit and damage Liberals. “Beating the left has always been what this has been about” (6). He does so by playing into the xenophobia and hatred that Conservatives carry at there core. “…the people I always describe as those who make this country work. The people who define the character and who define the values of this country were the winners [in last night’s presidential election].” (7) And who are the people that voted for Trump that Rush describes as owning the “character” and “values” of this country? White non-college educated men. (8)
I wanted to take a moment to reflect on Limbaugh and point out some of the atrocities that spill out of his mouth hole. Why am I writing this? I want to highlight the things this deplorable says so that we citizens better understand who is influencing the people running our government.
- “The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies.” (9)
- “This is not a nation of people that are discriminated against.” (10)
- Referred to the participants in the Woman’s March as ‘feminazis’ (11)
- “Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it.” (12)
- “Take that bone out of your nose and call me back.” (13)
- “Have you ever noticed how all newspaper composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?” (14)
- “I think the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They’re interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well. I think there’s a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he really didn’t deserve.” – Rush Limbaugh made this statement about Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb during a September 2003 broadcast of ESPN television’s Sunday NFL Countdown program. The controversy generated by the remark prompted Limbaugh’s resignation from his position as a commentator on that show. (15)
- “Women should not be allowed on juries where the accused is a stud.” (16)
- “Feminism was established so as to allow unattractive women access to the mainstream of society.” (17)
- “Let’s say we discover the gene that says the kid’s gonna be gay. How many parents, if they knew before the kid was gonna be born, [that he] was gonna be gay, they would take the pregnancy to term? Well, you don’t know but let’s say half of them said, “Oh, no, I don’t wanna do that to a kid.” [Then the] gay community finds out about this. The gay community would do the fastest 180 and become pro-life faster than anybody you’ve ever seen. … They’d be so against abortion if it was discovered that you could abort what you knew were gonna be gay babies.” (18)
- “Socks is the White House cat. But did you know there is also a White House dog?”
-Rush Limbaugh, while holding up a photograph of 13-year-old Chelsea Clinton on his 1993 television show (19)
- “They’re out there protesting what they actually wish would happen to them sometimes.”
– Rush Limbaugh, on women who protest against sexual harassment (20)
- “What does it say about the college co-ed Susan Fluke [sic] who goes before a congressional committee and essentially says that she must be paid to have sex — what does that make her? It makes her a slut, right? It makes her a prostitute. She wants to be paid to have sex. She’s having so much sex she can’t afford the contraception. She wants you and me and the taxpayers to pay her to have sex.”
~Rush Limbaugh, referring to Sandra Fluke, a student at Georgetown Law School who was denied the right to speak at a congressional hearing on contraception hearing, in which she planned to discuss a friend of hers who needed contraception to prevent the growth of cysts (21)
- “Let the unskilled jobs that take absolutely no knowledge whatsoever to do — let stupid and unskilled Mexicans do that work.” (22)
- “We’re not sexists, we’re chauvinists — we’re male chauvinist pigs, and we’re happy to be because we think that’s what men were destined to be. We think that’s what women want.” (23)
Daniel Cashman, EAMP, MS (AOM), NCCAOM Dipl. Acupuncture
- Rush Limbaugh Show, 9 Nov 2016
- January 1993 issue of Flush Rush Quarterly
- Rush Limbaugh Show, 9 Nov 2016
- Rush Limbaugh Show, 19 Jan 2007